From today until 6 October, a unique Lamborghini Sián made from more than 400,000 LEGO® Technic™ pieces will be on display at Museo Automobili Lamborghini in Sant’Agata Bolognese. An established partnership has been in place between the two brands for several years and this initiative underlines their shared values: “brave, authentic and unexpected”.
After the launch of the 1:8 scale LEGO® Technic™ Lamborghini Sián FKP 37 in 2020, this life-size model recreates the visionary design of the limited-edition Italian sports car on a much bigger scale. More than 154 different types of LEGO pieces were used to ensure that the model embodies the futuristic sophistication and reproduces the unmistakable outline of the Lamborghini Sián, right down to the very smallest details.
Lena Dixen, Senior Vice President of Products and Marketing at the LEGO Group, stated: “Our designers love challenges, so you can imagine how delighted they were when we asked them to work on this model and look at things in a slightly bigger way than usual. They leaped at the chance to work with the incredible designers and engineers from our production workshop at the Kladno factory in the Czech Republic, who build these stunning full-scale models, and really pushed back the boundaries of what can be done with LEGO Technic. Thanks to the scope for creativity provided by the system, they’ve truly done justice to the exceptional design of the Lamborghini Sián FKP 37 LEGO Technic.”
In this second joint project by the talented designers, engineers and technicians from the two companies, the model has exactly the same dimensions as the Lamborghini Sián FKP 37, right down to the last millimeter: the perfectly proportioned chassis is covered with made-to-measure hexagonal LEGO Technic pieces that are interconnected and form a shell that is bursting with energy. The design pays tribute to the six-sided shape that plays a key role in Lamborghini’s approach, calling to mind the iconic hexagonal tail lights and the shape of the exhaust of the Italian sports car.
“After a wait of more than a year, the LEGO Technic model of the Lamborghini Sián is going on show at Museo Automobili Lamborghini. It’s the natural place to display the Lamborghini super sports cars that have always given dreams and feelings concrete forms thanks to innovation and technology. This 1:1 scale model of the Sián shows that Lamborghini – just like LEGO Group – sees challenges as its lifeblood, technology as a means of creation, and design as a linchpin that can and must take people’s breath away,” stated Federico Foschini, Chief Marketing and Sales Officer at Automobili Lamborghini.
On the outside, the design of the Lamborghini Sián has been recreated with the utmost attention to detail. The word Sián means “lightning” or “thunderbolt” in Bolognese dialect. The experts from the LEGO Group underlined this by making the lights and the stylish thunderbolt that flashes down the bodywork shine like the Y-shaped lights on the real vehicle, while also producing hexagonal tail lights that can really turn on and off.
Extremely precise detailing can be seen inside the vehicle, including a LEGO brick steering wheel decorated with the famous Lamborghini badge and the Italian flag, an instrument panel and racing seats.
This is the first large-scale model by the LEGO Group to have paint-effect UV color coating, which will help to make the model longer lasting. The color perfectly matches the hue of the 1:8 scale LEGO Technic model and it was applied by the Lamborghini paint shop to ensure that the sports car had a fitting finish.
Facts and figures about the full-scale LEGO® Technic™ Lamborghini Sián FKP 37:
- More than 400,000 LEGO® Technic™ pieces were used in total.
- 154 different types of LEGO Technic pieces were used, including 20 that were molded especially for this model.
- Total weight: 2,200 kg
- The development and construction process took 8,660 hours:
- 5,370 hours of development
- 3,290 hours of production
- It was created by 15 design, engineering and construction specialists from the LEGO team in Kladno, the Czech Republic.
- The dimensions of the model are exactly the same as those of the real vehicle: 4,980 mm in length, 2,101 mm in width and 1,133 mm in height.
- The front and rear lights work and they are made entirely from LEGO Technic pieces.
- For the first time, a LEGO model was given a paint-effect coating, using official Automobili Lamborghini paint.
- For the first time, the iconic lines of a full-scale model’s design have been lit up to pay tribute to the visionary curves and the futuristic form of the real vehicle, which is hugely popular with sports car lovers all over the world.
- For the first time, a hexagonal shape has been used to form the outer shell of a model, thus paying tribute to the design history of the Lamborghini Sián FKP 37, which was strongly inspired by the shape.